You have no items in your shopping cart.
LeCreuset Stoneware Pie Bird - Caribbean Blue
The use of the pie bird may be something you remember from your grandmother but this little guy isn't just a pretty little pie topper. The use of the pie bird is a wonderful tool that will help your pies come out even better. The hollow Le Creuset Pie Bird in Caribbean Blue redirects the moisture from the filling which does 2 very important things. First off this keeps moisture away from the bottom crust so it does not come out soggy. Secondly this redirecting of moisture and steam will keep your top crust in tact and helps prevent your filling from spilling over in the oven.
The Le Creuset Pie Bird is made of durable enameled stoneware the resists moisture absorption keeping it from cracking. This stoneware pie bird is oven safe up to 500°F / 260°C as well as freezer, microwave, and dishwasher safe.
Le Creuset Caribbean Blue Pie Bird (PG1875-0417) Features:
- Le Creuset Color Caribbean Blue
- Thermal resistance Pie Bird
- Safe for freezer, microwave, oven, broiler
- Maximum oven-safe temperature is 500°F / 260°C.
- Enameled stoneware pie bird
- Stoneware blocks moisture to prevent cracking, crazing and rippling
- Dishwasher safe Le Creuset Pie Bird
- Preventing the pie contents from boiling over
- Pie Bird is hollow to vents steam from the filling as it cooks
- Bottom arches redirects moisture to keep bottom crust from getting soggy
- 5 Year LeCreust Warranty
- Item # PG1875-0417
**NOTE: The pie bird featured in the photograph is model PG1875-042 in FLAME ORANGE
Apricot and Almond Pie
- 150g plain flour + a little extra for rolling out the pastry
- 125g Butter + a little extra for greasing the dish
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cold water
- ½ teaspoon almond essence
- 2 x 400g tins of ½ apricots in juice
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 small egg beaten with a little milk
- 100g flaked almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
To make the pastry rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
Mix in the ground almonds and caster sugar.
Combine the almond essence with the water and add to the pastry ingredients.
Gently press together to combine.
Chill for 1 hour.
Strain the juice from the apricots into a sauce pan keeping back a couple of tablespoons for later, place the apricots into a bowl.
Heat the juice and reduce by approximately a half.
Mix the corn flour, sugar and vanilla extract with the retained 2 tablespoons of juice and stir into the contents of the pan. Once thickened pour over the drained apricots and allow to cool.
Pre heat the oven to 180°C 350°C Gas mark 4 (Fan –assisted reduce temp by 20°).
With a little butter grease the dish inside and around the rim to prevent the sweet pastry sticking.
Cut the pastry in two halves one a little larger than the other.
Roll out the larger piece and line the dish.
Place the pie bird in the centre of the dish and add the cooled apricots and syrup mixture.
Roll out the smaller ½ pastry to a little larger than the top of the dish.
Using a pastry brush wet the top edges of the pastry in the pie dish with water.
Gently place on the pie top allowing the bird to poke through.
Trim the pastry and nip together the edges.
Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg and milk, sprinkle over the granulated sugar and flaked almonds.
Bake for 35–40 minutes till golden.
|Name||Le Creuset Stoneware Pie Bird - Caribbean Blue|
|GTIIN / UPC Code||00630870057424|
|Home or Commercial||Home|
|Manufacturer's Warranty||5 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty|
|Country of Manufacture||China|
|Weight (in Lbs)||2|