You have no items in your shopping cart.
Miyabi Japanese Knives - 6 Inch Chef's - Birchwood Collection
The beauty, elegance, and extraordinary attributes of Miyabi Japanese knives will captivate you from the first time you hold these exceptional pieces of cutlery. The Birchwood 6 inch chef's knife is heavy, sturdy, and strong blade with a fine cutting edge. The scalpel-like sharpness is suitable for chopping herbs or scallions, cutting fruit or vegetables, slicing and dicing meats, fish, or poultry. The professional chef or enthusiastic home cook will find this Miyabi knife will perform the range of circular, chopping, and rocking motions needed for most food preparation needs. This Miyabi knife is versatile, light-weight, and perfectly balanced. The functional elegance of Miyabi knives are an investment in art, tradition, construction, design and style for the discriminating that always looks for the absolute best for their kitchens.
The lovely 101 layer Damascus flower patterned Miyabi knives are an artist's creation of banding and mottling that is individual to each knife. This type of steel has its origins in the swords of the Middle Ages, but was created in India. Damascus steel is noted for extreme hardness, durability, resistance to shattering, and fine honing qualities. Underneath the Damascus steel of these Miyabi knives lies core of Zwilling J.A. Henckels formula SG2 alloyed stainless steel which is made with high carbon content of superior quality. Taken together, the blade materials and fabrication are the optimum choice for those that want only the best.
The blade undergoes a unique Zwilling J.A. Henckels trademarked CRYODUR® 4 -step hardening process that maximizes the properties of the steel used for these Miyabi knives. Hardening is completed in a state-of-the-art, vacuum-sealed furnace, then rapid quenching takes place to return the blade to room temperature in seconds. A cryogenic treatment process places the blade into -321 degrees Fahrenheit conditions to increase the resistance to corrosion. Double tempering boosts overall blade toughness. Miyabi knives express Zwilling J.A. Henckels commitment to high performance German manufacturing.
The Honbazuke method is uniquely a Japanese method of sharpening knives and swords. Each blade honed to an angle of between 9.5 and 12 degrees per side by a skilled artisan. This specific acute angle results in phenomenal blade sharpness like a surgeon's scalpel. The Japanese geometry used makes knife accuracy that prepares the finest thin sliced sushi fishes to complex vegetable carvings of birds or animals.
Karelian (Masur) Birch is a prized wood used mostly for fine furniture, instrument making, inlaying and veneers, and now in this line of Birchwood Miyabi knives. The creamy white background is rippled with tan "flames"and darker brown burls. Found in Finland and Poland, but primarily Russia, this exquisitely decorated wood was the only choice used for knife handles prepared to craft Faberge eggs. Miyabi knives are a work of art already, and much more so with the Karelian Birchwood handles.
Miyabi Knives - Birchwood - 6" Chef's Knife Features:
- Sharpness, design, geometry of Japanese traditional knife blades
- Exclusive German Zwilling formula SG2 stainless steel
- Damascus flower pattern 101-layer Miyabi knife
- CRYODUR® 4-step hardening process used
- Mirror polished to reveal one of a kind pattern
- Hand-finished by artisans using 3-step Honbazuke method
- "D-shape" handle design for long-time comfortable use
- Karelian (Masur) Birch handle construction with mosaic pin, two red spacers, end cap with logo
- Acute angle honing between 9.5 and 12 degrees per side for surgical scalpel blade edge
- Honbazuke honed by skilled artisans
- Fully rounded spine
- Miyabi chef's knife length - 6 inches
- Strong, sturdy, heavy knife with fine cutting edge
- Light-weight, versatile, perfectly-balanced
- All-purpose chef's knife for circular, chopping, and rocking motions
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Miyabi knives made in Seki, Japan by Zwilling J.A. Henckels Japan
Miyabi - "The Beauty of Sharpness"
Miyabi knives are a realization of the joint efforts of Zwilling J.A. Henckels with Chef Rokusaburo Michiba, the first Japanese Iron Chef on the television series "Iron Chef." His philosophy, "there is no borders to ingredients," continues to bear testimony in this cooperative combination. Miyabi knives are a synthesis of the traditions and craftsmanship of Japanese sword makers with the precise engineering and manufacturing of German knives. Miyabi is characterized by traditional Japanese blade designs that possess exceptional sharpness with the sophisticated "D shape" comfort handle. Each collection of Miyabi kitchen knives is an expression of the refined beauty, finesse, and distinction that defines Japanese culture.
Care & Use of Miyabi Knives:
- Care important to avoid corrosion and damage
- Hand-wash only under running water with tiny amount of detergent
- Dry knife thoroughly
- Do not allow to remain wet or dirty for long periods
- Wrap in newspaper and store in dry place if knife not used for an extended period
- Follow manufacturer directions to increase life span of knife
- Do not force cutting action
- Do not use on frozen or hard food
- Do not use to cut hard-shell crustaceans
- Do not twist blade or use to pry
- Always use appropriate cutting surfaces, no glass or ceramics
- To resharpen, use professional sharpening stones or manufacturer sharpening steels
- Sharpen first with coarse grit stone and follow with fine finishing stone
|Description Author||Alecia K|
|Name||Miyabi Knives - 6" Chef's Japanese Knife - Birchwood SG2|
|GTIIN / UPC Code||035886281892|
|Home or Commercial||Home|
|Material||Wood and Steel|
|Manufacturer's Warranty||Lifetime Limited Manufacturer Warranty (excludes wood handles)|
|Weight (in Lbs)||0.6|