You have no items in your shopping cart.
Miyabi Japanese Knives - 5.5 Inch Santoku Knife w/ Hollow Edge - Kaizen Collection
Kaizen means "improvement" or "change for the better" in Japanese, and these Miyabi knives certainly embody these words in the quality and performance that each piece of cutlery delivers. The Kaizen 5.5 inch Santoku Knife has a shorter, broad blade with a slightly curved Katana edge similar the samurai swords of history. Quick and swift, you will become at ease with this Asian all-purpose, three-fold chopping knife for preparing vegetables, fish, and meats. The scalpel-like sharpness of this Santoku knife will thrill the professional chef and home cook when using it for the principle design action of chopping from thick to super fine cuts. The hollow edge keeps foods from sticking as you work. This Miyabi knife is perfectly balanced, light-weight, and versatile. The functional elegance of Miyabi knives are an investment in art, tradition, construction, design and style for the discriminating that always looks for the finest quality for their kitchens.
The lovely 64 layer Damascus flower patterned Miyabi knives are an artist's creation of banding and mottling that is individual to each knife. This type of steel has its origins in the swords of the Middle Ages, but was created in India. Damascus steel is noted for extreme hardness, durability, resistance to shattering, and fine honing qualities. Underneath the Damascus steel of these Miyabi knives lies core of Zwilling J.A. Henckels formula VG10 (CMV60) super steel of superior quality. These blades with the Rockwell hardness of 60, have a superior cutting edge retention, with maximized corrosion retention, and hardness. Taken together, the blade materials and fabrication are the premium choice for those that want the best.
The blade undergoes a unique Zwilling J.A. Henckels trademarked CRYODUR® 4-step hardening process that maximizes the properties of the steel used for these Miyabi knives. Hardening is completed in a state-of-the-art, vacuum-sealed furnace, then rapid quenching takes place to return the blade to room temperature in seconds. A cryogenic treatment process places the blade into -321 degrees Fahrenheit conditions to increase the resistance to corrosion. Double tempering boosts overall blade toughness. Miyabi knives express Zwilling J.A. Henckels commitment to high performance German manufacturing.
The Honbazuke method is uniquely a Japanese method of sharpening knives and swords. Each blade honed to the Katana edge with an angle of between 9.5 and 12 degrees per side by a skilled artisan. This specific acute angle results in phenomenal blade sharpness like a surgeon's scalpel. The Japanese geometry used makes knife accuracy that will prepares the thinnest sliced sushi fishes to complex vegetable carvings of birds or animals.
The "D shape" handle is constructed of black linen Micarta which is a thermosetting plastic composite impregnated with linen fibers. This high-pressure resin laminate has a wood-like visual appearance and hand-feel. Micarta knife handles are incredibly durable, and resist becoming slick during use, even while cutting the slickest or wettest of foods. This Micarta synthetic material provides hygienic and food-safe qualities that are necessary in well-kept kitchens.
Miyabi Knives - Kaizen - 5.5" HE Santoku Knife Features:
- Sharpness, design, geometry of Japanese traditional knife blades
- Exclusive German Zwilling formula VG10 (CMV60) super steel
- Damascus flower pattern 64-layer Miyabi knife
- Kaizen blades with Rockwell hardness of 60
- Blade with maximized corrosion resistance, toughness, and edge retention
- CRYODUR® 4-step hardening process used
- Mirror polished to reveal one of a kind pattern
- Katana edge hand-finished by artisans using 3-step Honbazuke method
- Hollow edge resists food sticking during use
- "D-shape" handle design for long-time comfortable and durable use
- Black linen Micarta handle construction with mosaic pin, two red spacers, end cap with logo
- Food-safe, hygienic, durable
- Micarta resists becoming slick in use
- Acute angle honing between 9.5 and 12 degrees per side for surgical scapel blade edge
- Fully rounded spine
- Miyabi Kaizen HE Santoku Knife length - 5.5 inches
- All-purpose Asian three-fold knife for vegetables, meat, fish
- Designed for principle action of chopping
- Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
- Miyabi knives made in Seki, Japan by Zwilling J.A. Henckels Japan
Miyabi - "The Beauty of Sharpness"
Miyabi knives are a realization of the joint efforts of Zwilling J.A. Henckels with Chef Rokusaburo Michiba, the first Japanese Iron Chef on the television series "Iron Chef." His philosophy, "there is no borders to ingredients," continues to bear testimony in this cooperative combination. Miyabi knives are a synthesis of the traditions and craftsmanship of Japanese sword makers with the precise engineering and manufacturing of German knives. Miyabi is characterized by traditional Japanese blade designs that possess exceptional sharpness with the sophisticated "D shape" comfort handle. Each collection of Miyabi kitchen knives is an expression of the refined beauty, finesse, and distinction that defines Japanese culture.
Care & Use of Miyabi Knives:
- Care important to avoid corrosion and damage
- Hand-wash only under running water with tiny amount of detergent
- Dry knife thoroughly
- Do not allow to remain wet or dirty for long periods
- Wrap in newspaper and store in dry place if knife not used for an extended period
- Follow manufacturer directions to increase life span of knife
- Do not force cutting action
- Do not use on frozen or hard food
- Do not use to cut hard-shell crustaceans
- Do not twist blade or use to pry
- Always use appropriate cutting surfaces, no glass or ceramics
- To resharpen, use professional sharpening stones
- Sharpen first with coarse grit stone and follow with fine finishing stone
|Description Author||Alecia K|
|Name||Miyabi Knives - 5.5" HE Santoku Japanese Knife - Kaizen 5000DP|
|GTIIN / UPC Code||035886294328|
|Home or Commercial||Home|
|Material||Stainless Steel & Micarta|
|Manufacturer's Warranty||Lifetime Limited Manufacturer Warranty|
|Country of Manufacture||Japan|
|Weight (in Lbs)||0.5|